Char Siu Chinese Red Roast Pork
3 lbs boneless pork
3 Tbsp warmed honey
1 tsp salt
4 Tbsp soy sauce
4 tsp Finely minced ginger OR 4 thin slices Ginger
3 Tbsp honey, warmed shopping list
2 Tbsp sugar, white or brown
1 tsp or more Crushed garlic
3 Tbsp rice wine OR Sherry (NEVER USE cooking sherry!!!)
1 Tbsp Chinese 5 spice powder
2 Tbsp hoisin sauce OR oyster sauce
2 drops red food color (more or none if prefered)
- Cut pork into 2-3 inch wide strips and place in 1 gal sized plastic bag
- Heat Soy sauce, Honey and Sugar together in sauce pan til disolved
- mix all other marinade ingredients together and add to soy mixture
- pour over pork and marinade for 6+hrs or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Marinading up to 24 hrs is fine.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare roasting pan with 1 inch water in bottom of pan.
- Place pork strips on wire rack over pan w/ water and place on mid-rack of oven
- roast 20-25 mins basting with 2-3 Tbsp warmed honey
- turn and baste other side for 25-30 mins
- honey should nicely char edges