POMEGRANATE SHRIMP WITH CURRY LEAVES
- 1 ½ pounds shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder or red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 sprig fresh curry leaves
- 2 large or 4 to 6 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (see Note)
In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, pomegranate molasses, garlic, turmeric, chili powder, coriander, and salt. Mix well. The best way to do this is with your hands.
Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When it shimmers, add the curry leaves and shallots. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the shallots just begin to change color.
Add the shrimp and marinade. Toss for a few minutes, just until the shrimp are completely cooked through.
Remove from the heat and serve immediately, sprinkled with pomegranate seeds.
Note: Dried pomegranate seeds are not a substitute for fresh ones — trust me. Add the dried ones to this recipe and you will have a mess on your hands!